The Geological Society of Queensland (GSQ) is a division within the Queensland Government Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy. In early 2019, the division implemented a new technology platform to improve service delivery and streamline internal operations. The transformation necessitated the development and deployment of a new strategy for the organisation to ensure the realisation of customer and staff benefits outlined in the business case.
GSQ engaged the S3 Consult team for Lean strategy deployment consulting services to meet the organisation’s strategic objectives. Our discussions with GSQ leadership guided the design of a phased approach for the project with the primary objective of developing clear alignment across all parts of the GSQ organisation.
As the GSQ leadership team commenced the change journey enabled by the implementation of new technology, we coached the organisation through following approach:
Phase 1: A facilitated all day workshop involving the Leadership team to -
- Develop alignment on the strategic direction for the organisation across the entire team
- Establish focus areas and set goals for the organisation
- Develop measurable targets for the organisation which can be cascaded through the different business areas and provide transparency across multiple time horizons
- Agree the schedule and sequence of follow up workshops to clearly define the implementation journey over multiple years
- Assign ownership for the achievement of the strategic goals and associated targets
Phase 2: Follow up workshops and project planning to -
- Develop detailed actions to enable the achievement of the targets
- Organise actions into a program of work to be visualised and proactively managed across the organisation
- Create the platform for the targets and actions to become part of the annual performance plan of all contributors within the organisation
The project achieved the following outcomes -
- Successful business readiness for the implementation of the new technology platform.
- Clear, aligned and agreed goals and targets for each team and business area within GSQ.
- Launch of a measurement and tracking dashboard for the organisation.